If you generate hazardous waste, you should know the answer to these 10 questions:
- Is the waste properly stored and labeled?
- What is the facility’s EPA Identification Number?
- Who are your waste shippers and transportation, storage and disposal facilities?
- Where are the past 3 years of disposal manifests kept?
- Are employees who handle hazardous waste trained?
- Who is the designated emergency coordinator?
- Are emergency contacts and phone numbers posted and current?
- What is the waste minimization plan?
- Have response arrangements been made with local authorities?
- When were the waste management and contingency plans last updated?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you may want to consider an environmental compliance audit for your facility to make sure you’re meeting state and federal regulatory requirements.
You can find more information about these 10 questions in this Pollution Engineering article 10 Common Questions for Waste Generators.